The Philippines is known as one of the most hazard-prone countries in the world. In a 2008 World Bank study, the country was identified as a natural disaster hot-spot with approximately 50.3% of its total area and 81% of its population vulnerable to natural disasters. The United Nations University Institute of Environment and Human Security’s (UNU- EHS) 2012 World Risk Report, the Philippines is the third most disaster risk country worldwide.
Filipinos are known to be resilient but how do we, specifically the poor, exactly cope in times of disaster or emergency?
The top coping mechanism is accessing loans.
|Coping Mechanism||% of Respondents|
|Find additional work||80%|
|Assistance from family||63%|
There were 653 respondents in the research conducted through 59 focus group discussions in Eastern Visayas.
Eight out of ten of the respondents coped through accessing loans and finding additional work while six out of ten respondents sought the assistance of their family members.
The top coping mechanism of the poor is through accessing loans. Eight out of ten poor family will access a loan as a coping strategy in times of disaster and emergency. This is not surprising but a lot are not aware that this coping mechanism is not good for one’s financial health. Loans should be used for productive purposes only. This is a cardinal rule when accessing loans. Clearly, loans will be used for consumption in times of emergency – to buy food, rebuild or repair houses, medicines for the sick etc. The loan purpose is not bad but the financial tool used is incompatible with the purpose.
The appropriate financial tool used should be insurance and savings. It is a stark contrast that these two are at the bottom of the coping mechanism strategies of the poor while accessing loans is on top. Insurance is specifically design as a protection strategy against emergencies and external shocks. Savings on the other hand provides a cushion or a buffer to smoothen the impact of financial shocks.
The research result is an illustration that the poor have low financial literacy levels. This is why (L)Earning Wealth is embarking on financial literacy programs to improve the financial wellbeing of the poor. Through the sale of its book, (L)Earning Wealth: Successful Strategies in Money Management, it will donate one book to conditional cash transfer beneficiaries (CCT), and students in public high schools and state universities. It will also be conducting seminar workshops to these target groups.
Sources of information and practical tips on money management
Mga bagay na dapat mong malaman sa insurance
Mga iba pang babasahin tungkol sa insurance:
- Iba’t-ibang klase ng insurance
- Must-have insurance for people in their 30s
- Ang pinakamatatag na insurance company sa Pilipinas (Part 1)
- Ang pinakamatatag na insurance company sa Pilipinas (Part 2)
- Anong insurance dapat mayroon ang mga bata?
- Gusto kong paghandaan ang future ng anak ko, tama bang investment-linked insurance ang kinuha ko?
- Paano gumagana ang ibinabayad na premium sa insurance para mabigyan tayo ng proteksyon sa panahon ng emergency
- Kung akala mo insurance ang education plan, basahin mo ito
- Insurance para sa mahirap
- Bakit mahal ang VUL o investment-linked insurance
Mga bagay na dapat mong iwasan sa insurance
Ito ang listahan ng mga articles na isinulat ko at videos na nagawa ko tungkol sa VUL para makakuha tayo ng mas sulit at mas epektibong insurance coverage.
- Bakit mahal ang VUL?
- Bakit mas maganda ang BTID kaysa VUL?
- Epektibong paggawa ng BTID upang masulit ang pinaghirapang pera sa insurance at investment
- Paanong mas maliit ang fund value sa VUL kaysa sa BTID?
- Ok ba talaga ang VUL kasi protected ka nito beyond 65 years old compared to term?
- Ok ba talaga ang VUL para sa estate taxes?
- Why Not VUL?
- Anong gagawin ko kung may VUL na ako? Paano ko ito ititigil?
- Pagkakaiba ng savings sa VUL
- Mga terms and conditions na kailangang hanapin kung bibili ng VUL
- Paano pumili ng mabuting insurance agent
Different kinds of investments
Preparing for retirement
How are articles on retirement
- 10 Commandments of retirement
- Mga kinakatakutan ng retirees at paano ito paghahandaan
- Magkano ang matatanggap mong SSS pension upon retirement
Watch videos on money management
Get in touch with Sir Vince
Join online groups of Sir Vince
Join Sir Vince blog newsletter