Coops trained on how to prevent and address delinquency
Delinquency or non-repayment of loans, is one of the major challenges of cooperatives in the Philippines. This is particuarly more prevalent in cooperatives compared to banks because they mainly cater to farmers who face a lot of risks related to agriculture.
Seven cooperatives from Northern Luzon attended credit competency training held in Northview Hotel, Laoag City, Ilocos Norte on February 18, 2019. The training aims to reduce delinquency and improve collection to ensure financial sustainability.
“This is by far the most useful training we attended. It offers easy to understand concepts and strategies in preventing and combating delinquency” said Alice, a management officer of the Isabela Grains Marketing and Production Cooperative.
Participants were able to learn about loan portfolio risk management such as understanding delinquency, borrower’s perspective on delinquency, measuring delinquency, client selection techniques, and loan application processing.
Understanding delinquency session focused on its causes and costs. Participants were asked to list major causes of delinquency and categorize whether the cause is due to organizational, client or external factors. The session highlight was to make the participants realize that zero delinquency is an attainable and reasonable goal that requires the commitment of the institution.
The next session made the participants reverse their role and imagine themselves in the shoes of the borrower. They assumed the perspective of the borrowers and identified the benefits and costs of on-time and late payments. This made them realize the importance of emphasizing the benefits of on-time payments to encourage repayments rather than focusing on penalizing borrowers.
Participants also learned how to measure delinquency that enabled them to claculate for the past due and portfolio at risk ratios easier and faster. Many of the participants revealed that this was the first time they understood the importance of these measurements and took them to heart.
Succeeding discussions dealt with client selection techniques and loan application processing. The cooperatives were introduced to character-based lending (CBL) and to core components of credit and background investigation (CIBI). CBL and CIBI require investing more time and energy in preparing, to avoid repairing delinquent accounts in the future.
Social Enterprise Development Partnerships, Inc. (SEDPI) was the successful bidder for this project under the Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Credit Policy Council (ACPC). This is the first of six batches that will also be held in Cagayan de Oro, Davao, Iloilo, Koronadal and Laguna.
Jovena Antiporda, Angelica Reyes and Jerome Sinangote were the lead facilitators for the training. SEDPI President, Vince Rapisura, who joined the team, was also in charge of the design and development of the training.
Sources of information and practical tips on money management
Mga bagay na dapat mong malaman sa insurance
Mga iba pang babasahin tungkol sa insurance:
- Iba’t-ibang klase ng insurance
- Must-have insurance for people in their 30s
- Ang pinakamatatag na insurance company sa Pilipinas (Part 1)
- Ang pinakamatatag na insurance company sa Pilipinas (Part 2)
- Anong insurance dapat mayroon ang mga bata?
- Gusto kong paghandaan ang future ng anak ko, tama bang investment-linked insurance ang kinuha ko?
- Paano gumagana ang ibinabayad na premium sa insurance para mabigyan tayo ng proteksyon sa panahon ng emergency
- Kung akala mo insurance ang education plan, basahin mo ito
- Insurance para sa mahirap
- Bakit mahal ang VUL o investment-linked insurance
Mga bagay na dapat mong iwasan sa insurance
Ito ang listahan ng mga articles na isinulat ko at videos na nagawa ko tungkol sa VUL para makakuha tayo ng mas sulit at mas epektibong insurance coverage.
- Bakit mahal ang VUL?
- Bakit mas maganda ang BTID kaysa VUL?
- Epektibong paggawa ng BTID upang masulit ang pinaghirapang pera sa insurance at investment
- Paanong mas maliit ang fund value sa VUL kaysa sa BTID?
- Ok ba talaga ang VUL kasi protected ka nito beyond 65 years old compared to term?
- Ok ba talaga ang VUL para sa estate taxes?
- Why Not VUL?
- Anong gagawin ko kung may VUL na ako? Paano ko ito ititigil?
- Pagkakaiba ng savings sa VUL
- Mga terms and conditions na kailangang hanapin kung bibili ng VUL
- Paano pumili ng mabuting insurance agent
Different kinds of investments
Preparing for retirement
How are articles on retirement
- 10 Commandments of retirement
- Mga kinakatakutan ng retirees at paano ito paghahandaan
- Magkano ang matatanggap mong SSS pension upon retirement
Watch videos on money management
Get in touch with Sir Vince
Join online groups of Sir Vince
Join Sir Vince blog newsletter